Council minutes are a primary source for researching local history, and even family history. The following minutes relate to the area that is now City of Boroondara, Victoria. Transcription of these minutes will make this important resource easily accessible and searchable.
Originally the Boroondara Road Board proclaimed by Sir Charles Hotham in July 1854 and was a governing board of the infrastructure of the area. The board was elected 8 September 1856.
Hawthorn was the first to partition for their own municipality, separating from the Boroondara Road Board. This was granted 27 July 1860 becoming Municipality of Hawthorn. It was later declared the City of Hawthorn 12 September 1890.
Kew followed suit claiming municipality away from the Boroondara Road Board on 18 December 1860, becoming Municipal District of Kew. It attained city status and was known as the City of Kew 1 March 1921.
The remaining area of the Boroondara Road Board became the Shire of Boroondara on 17 November 1871. The next name change to occur was in 1902 when it became the Shire of Camberwell and Boroondara. On 14 April 1914, it became known as the City of Camberwell.
The three Cities were amalgamated to form the City of Boroondara on 22 June 1994.